Blockstream introduces 6 interesting LApps, 7th to be introduced today
This week, Blockstream, a major proponent of Bitcoin development, has introduced what they call the Week of LApps (Applications built on top of the Lightning Network) in which they sought to promote 7 LApps that have interesting implications. The 7th LApp is to be introduced today.
Before we get to the applications, a brief on Lightning Charge. Lightning Charge is the micropayments processing system built on LN. Lightning Charge facilitates the creation of LApps as a way of testing Blockstream’s c-lightning implementation of the Lightning Network.
Here, we take a look at the 6 Lightning Applications built by Nadav Ivgi, an independent developer in collaboration with Blockstream:
- FILEBAZAAR: Filebazaar enables micropayments for content creators who produce digital files like videos, podcasts, documents etc.
Right now in this world, there is no way in which a content creator can benefit from the network effects of a global Internet without an ad based model or a subscription based model.
Ad based model steals the privacy of a viewer. A subscription based model prevents viewers from accessing the immediate content that they require. Like for eg, I want to access one particular article in a paid news website. I don’t want to pay a whole month’s worth of subscription just to read that article. I would rather skip it.
Filebazaar enables the creation of a micropayment layer which provides a solid revenue stream for content creators and greater control for content consumers. Through this tool, viewers will be able to access a paid gateway for the file and then will be able to pay using Bitcoin.
2. LIGHTNING PUBLISHER: Lightning Publisher is a plug-in for WordPress where content creators will be able to facilitate micropayments for their writing on a WordPress system. This enables the reader to read the content that they want and authors would be paid for it through Bitcoin.
Where the plugin can make a huge impact is by tapping onto WordPress. Statistics show that WordPress powers up to 29% of the Internet. By this integration, the Lightning Network can tap into the network effects provided by WordPress providing an opportunity for serious adoption of Bitcoin powered by LN.
3. NANOTIP: As the name suggests, a user will be able to tip Bitcoin using this application. Tipping is a popular feature these days especially for content publishers. The sight of a Bitcoin/Ether donation address on a webpage is common now in our world. But as long as the address remains static, it kills the financial privacy of the people involved. Nanotip seeks to solve this problem by introducing a tipbot that provides unique Lightning invoices for each tip made.
4. PAYPERCALL: This application acts as an express middleware that enables micropayments before any API call. Some use cases are as follows:
Want to require a micropayment when a user sends an SMS? Want to offer image processing services for a microfee? Paypercall allows developers to do so, and with Lightning’s instant payments, it enables instantaneous access to an API’s functionality. – Blockstream
5. NanoPOS: NanoPOS is a LN powered Point of Sale which is intended for in-person sales such as a purchase from a store or a coffee shop. Customers can pay for items using a QR code generated by the app.
6. IfPAYtt: Ifpaytt is a non-programmer friendly version of paypercall. Users can use this application to build applets which facilitates the use of micropayments for any webpage. Users are able to access the Lightning invoice, make a payment and then access the service or product.
The 7th LApp will be introduced today. These applications highlight the immense potential of the Lightning Network for adoption in daily use. It will be interesting to see the developments that occur from the exploration of the Lightning Charge technology.
Discuss this news on our Telegram Community. Subscribe to us on Google news and do follow us on Twitter @Blockmanity
Did you like the news you just read? Please leave a feedback to help us serve you better
Disclaimer: Blockmanity is a news portal and does not provide any financial advice. Blockmanity's role is to inform the cryptocurrency and blockchain community about what's going on in this space. Please do your own due diligence before making any investment. Blockmanity won't be responsible for any loss of funds.
Leave a Reply